Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Baby Blanket Progress!

It's been three months and I've been hard at work on the baby blanket for Soon-To-Be-Born Baby Girl (STBBBG). It's taken a little bit longer than I thought, namely because while Lambie Pie may be one of the cutest smooshiest yarns I've ever used, the stuff is DANGED HARD to knit with. It's basically a whole bunch of teased up fluff around a liiiiiiiittle strand that you've got to catch or your whole row slips. Oh, and by the way, when that happens it's best to just give up and retrace three rows back, because you're not getting anywhere fast.

Not to mention that with tiny yarn, you've got to make tiny stitches. Do you KNOW how many tiny stitches are in a blanket, however tiny that blanket may be? Thirty six stiches per row x about 100 rows in a block x 25 blocks x a border 20 stitches wide on all four sides x about 40 rows of that A BUTTLOAD. Hear that, STBBBG? So I don't want to hear about it when you're all cool and 15 years old and you want to go out with your friends and I need a babysitter for my future kids.

However, I am making progress, woohoo! I've got the entire bottom border done and most of the five blocks that will form the bottom layer. After working on those I got smart, and decided that instead of working on the WHOLE blanket at once (neccessitating switching of colors every 36 stitches) I'd do stripy-scarf rows and knit them all together when I'm done. That's been working much better, and I've got 1 1/2 of the three rows I'm going to do that way done. The other two rows will be done with the border on one side, and then I'll knit them all together at the top with one continuous border.

This might not be technically correct, but it's working for me, dang it.

Here's the progress! Mama of STBBBG, please don't look :)



If you like the yarn and want to try it (don't say I didn't warn you about it being a bit tough to work with) you can find it many places including Hobby Lobby. Just search for Lambie Pie. The colors I'm using, in case it's hard to tell, are 10 Angel, 40 Boo Pink, 80 Chocolate, and 120 Sweets for the border.

Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment